Tel:(661) 322-8166


Tel:(661) 322-8166

Practice Areas

Child Support Attorneys

Child Support

Child Support refers to the monthly payment made in order to offset the costs in raising a child. Usually, the “custodial parent,” or the parent who has sole physical custody, receives child support, as the law generally assumes that the payment is being used directly for the child. Usually, the “non-custodial” parent makes the child support payments, but the court may sometimes order both parents to pay child support.

Parents may agree to pay more, or in some limited cases, pay less, but the court must approve the amount. A parent cannot refuse to pay child support by refusing to work or to work less in order to pay less. The court may “impute” a parent’s income by ordering a parent to pay the amount they should be making based on their employment history, education, and training. It is the state’s intent to hold a deadbeat parent accountable, rather than punish a parent who decides to stay home with the children.

In California, there is a guideline to determine if and how much child support must be paid by one parent to another. California child support calculations involve many different factors. Some common and important factors to consider are:

- How many children are entitled to support

- How much time each parent is spending with the child

- Amount of money each parent earns or is capable of earning

- Amount of time spent with the child

- Any hardships that justify deviating from a child support order

Typically, a parent must pay child support until the child is 18, unless the child is still enrolled in high school and still living with a parent. A child support period may be shortened under circumstances, like the child becomes married or registers in a domestic partnership, joins the military, or becomes self supporting. Child support may be lengthened if a parent agrees to a longer support period, or if the child is unable to self support because of a disability.

Having an adequate yet affordable plan for child support is critical. Our law partners at Azemika & Azemika help you understand these guidelines and how they apply to your situation.

Contact An Experienced Kern County Child Custody and Child Support Attorney

For comprehensive representation in any Child Custody and Child Support matter, call Azemika & Azemika Law. We will fight for and protect you and your family during the separation and divorce process. Contact us today online or by phone 661-322-8166 to arrange an initial consultation with our attorneys.

FAQS ABOUT Child Support

How much will my child support be?

This can be a simple or complex issue depending on two questions: (1) how much time does each parent spend with the child or children and (2) what is each parent’s income? California has a guideline for child support to simplify the process of deciding child support payment amounts. Our child support lawyers will have access to a program to help factor that amount for you.

Can I refuse to pay child support if I do not see my children?

No, child custody and visitation issues are not related to child support. You cannot refuse to pay child support because the other parent does not let you see your children, and you cannot withhold your children from seeing the other parent because he or she has not paid child support.

Do I have to pay child support if I am not biologically the father of the child?

California law considers you (unless proven otherwise in court) the father of the child if: (1) you were married to the child’s mother when the child was conceived or born; (2) you attempted to marry the mother (even if the marriage was not valid) and the child was conceived or born during the “marriage"; (3) you married the mother after the birth and agreed either to have his name on the birth certificate or to support the child; or (3) you welcomed the child into his home and openly acted as if the child was his own. By contacting our experienced family law attorneys, we can help you sort out your options.

What if the other parent is lying about his or her income?

Under penalty of perjury, each parent must fill out a form declaring his or her income. This can be tricky because some parents may believe they are accurately reporting their income, but are not. Our child support attorneys will go over your income and expense declaration form, asking questions when information on the form goes against what the client has told us. A thorough evaluation process will aid us to help you report your income as accurately as possible. If a parent is lying about his or her income, the court will award the appropriate amount of child support the income bracket allows, as well as deciding to sanction the violating parent by awarding attorney’s fees against him or her.


Child Support Department Can Enforce Italian Support Order

In the case of Cima-Sorci v. Sorci, Father met Mother in Italy,..more

Father Living Double Life is Presumed Father of his Girlfriend's Child

A California Court of Appeals has ruled that a sperm donor whose..more

High Earner's Expenses & Lifestyle Must be Considered in Calculating Child Support

A California Court of Appeals has ruled that a Trial Court was..more

High Earner Has to Pay Same Child Support Despite His Income Going Down

A California Court of Appeals has ruled that Trial Court was wrong in reducing the child support..more

Child Support Less Than Guideline Can Be Ordered Despite Father's High Income

A California Court of Appeals has ruled that a Trial Court was..more

Urgent Legislation effective October 8, 2015, affects suspension of child support during payorís incarceration

California Assembly Bill 610 (Ch 629) Suspension of Child Support During Payor’s..more

Canít Enforce Back Support If Children Were Hidden

A California Court of Appeals has ruled that a Trial Court was not wrong by declining to..more

Receiving Tax Exemption From Your ex Is Tricky

U.S. Tax Court has ruled that prohibition against using Trial Court order, decree, or separation agreement as..more

Fiduciary Duty Ends Upon Divorce

In a partial reversal, a California Court of Appeals has ruled that Trial Court was wrong by..more

Father with Custody Must Still Pay Child Support

A California Appellate Court has ruled that a Trial Court did not err in declining to order..more

Back Child Support Loses to Fatherís Fraud Victims

A California Appellate Court has ruled that a Trial Court did not err in concluding that Mother’s..more

Support is Non-dischargeable in Bankruptcy

A Bankruptcy Appellate Court has ruled that a Bankruptcy Trial Court did not make a mistake in..more

Process Server Lies about Serving Father

A California Appellate Court has ruled that Father’s motion to set aside a 1998 default child support..more

Father must Pay Child Support to Stepfather

A California Appellate Court has affirmed a Trial Court which had denied Father’s motion to reduce to..more

Canít Impute Income to Parent on Welfare

A California Appellate Court has ruled that Trial Court did not err by failing to impute income..more

Parent Thrown in Jail for Not Paying Child Support

In the case of United States v. Davis, Father and Mother lived together, during their relationship, in..more

Ready to work with our award-winning team? Call today!